UAE has been the favorable destination for investors of all sizes for launching new endeavors. It is because of the multitudinous advantages that the state avails. UAE has peaked above its peers in various sectors such as finance, international trade, innovation and sustainability.
The state has passed federal laws to protect the Intellectual Property rights in Dubai and across all the other Emirates. Moreover, these laws are consigned to be applied by the entitled Ministries in accordance to its authority. The Federal Ministry of Economy holds the responsibility of patents, designs, copyrights and trademarks.
Intellectual Property encloses but does not limit to the creations of the mind including inventions. They can be:
- Literary or artistic works
- Names designs
The intellectual property is categorized into two classifications:
Industrial Property comprises of patents for inventions, trademarks, industrial designs and geographical indications.
Copyright covers literary works such as novels, poems, and plays, or films, music, or artistic works like drawings, paintings, photographs, and sculptures, and architectural designs and more.
Why Is It Important to Protect Intellectual Property Rights in UAE?
- Safeguards patents and copyrights against violations
- Guards original inventions
- Approves products selling at premium
- Secures research and creations
- Permits licenses legally
- Provides exclusive judicial protection of the IP rights
- Gives the business a competitive edge in the international market
The rapid economic growth of the United Arab Emirates has led to substantial rise in the number of patent (which is an exclusive right granted for any new inventions or set of procedures resulting from an innovative idea) applications filed. This surge is due to the increase in the country’s innovation, the fast-paced growth of the knowledge-based companies, and expansion of the non-oil sectors of business.
Moreover, in order to strengthen its position in the Intellectual Property Rights regulations, the United Arab Emirates is a member of a number of international and regional treaties and bodies:
- World Intellectual Property Organization Convention
- World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty
- Berne Convention for the Protection Literary and Artistic Work
- The Patent Cooperation Treaty
- The Paris Convention for the Protection Industrial Property
- The Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Laws with the accession of the UAE to the Copyrights and neighboring rights Agreement
As a result, registering your Intellectual Property in UAE entitles you or your organization to the protection of the patent, copyright or trademark from the UAE governmental authorities from infringement or misuse or unauthorized usage or alterations in illegal forms.
IBG team of experienced business consultants ensures that all the processes remain in line with the instructions issued by authorities for trademark registration. Brand registration is an important part of setting up a business identity and there is a systematic process that needs to be completed to register a trademark in UAE. IBG Consultants complete the process on their behalf to make the entire process hassle-free for them. Register your Trademark and Protect Your Intellectual Property Rights in the UAE with IBG today.